Yesterday I blogged about how the biggest issue in service is giving people the tools to figure what kind of service is best for them. No matter where you are or what you do we can all make the world a better place but the trick is figuring out how.
In addition to the idealist.org handbook being an excellent resource, on twitter there are tons of people and organizations sharing information on volunteerism from a variety of perspectives. Whether you are a busy mom looking to volunteer, a student wanting to volunteer abroad, a current volunteer looking for inspiration, or an organization looking to recruit and retain volunteers, there is something on twitter for you.
I made a list of folks on twitter that I enjoy following and find helpful. If you want to find more check out wefollow.com or look through who your favorite people on twitter are following—it’s a great way to find new people. Enjoy and share!
- For updates on volunteer opportunities, issues affecting volunteerism, how volunteerism is changing communities follow @servecommunity
- How are our politicians, celebrities, and companies encouraging service? How service is making news? Learn more about that by following: @TheNewService @national service
- If you are interested in spending a year or two in a service program you can learn more about challenges and joys of such programs as well as some great opportunities by following: @peacecorps @americorps @cityyear
- Want to volunteer abroad? Follow @volunteerabroad @globalaware
- Want to find volunteer opportunities in your city? Check out @greatnonprofits, @newyorkcares, @chicagocares, @volunteersd (check our wefollow.com and search volunteer—if your city has a volunteer program on twitter it will show up!)
For High School and College Students and Educators:
- Want to integrate service into the classroom? Follow @NSLC
- Are you a teen looking to volunteer? Check out @UWPCYouthUnited @youthservice
- College student looking for opportunities? @semesterservice @campus_compact
- Also get funding for your efforts! @ysagrants @dosomething @ashokagenv @studentscare
- Need to know how to recruit and better manage your volunteers? Follow @serviceresource @volunteerspot @taprootfound
For Busy People:
- Need tips on coordinating volunteer activities to fit in your busy schedule? Check out @volunteerspot
- You can volunteer from your phone. Really! Check out @extraordinaries
- Want to volunteer with the family? Follow @VolunteerFamily